Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Practice for Lent: The Creative Call

Today is the first day of Lent. I was casting about for something to do (or not to do) appropriate for the season. Since this period is supposed to be a time for self-reflection, I decided I would wed this season with my working through The Creative Call program.

The Creative Call: An Artist's Response to the Way of the Spirit is a book written by Joyce Elsheimer as an alternative to Cameron's The Artist's Way (TAW). TAW is a fantastic program, and I have employed it on several occassions to break through creative blocks and get my creating self moving again. However, the "source" or "higher self" referenced in TAW is ambiguous at best. The Creative Call is for those artists, writers, muscians, and other creatives who have a more focused view of that divine source for the creativity -- that is, God.

The Creative Call (CC) is less rigorous than TAW calling for a commitment of only eight weeks as well as only 20 minutes of journaling each morning. In addition, CC emphasizes prayer and scripture reading/memorization as part of the program of breaking through the hindrances to creative output. CC's main assertion, at least for me, is that God gives us our talents and urges us to develop and exercise them for His glory and our personal fulfillment in life. Given this, I thought working this program might be the perfect activity for Lent. The program most likely will flow past Easter, but somehow that seems right too.

My plan then is to read one chapter a week, do the prescribed exercises, and journal every day. At least once a week -- maybe more, maybe less -- I will write a short reflection piece here.

So, if you don't like hearing about God or Jesus, or are uncomfortable with scriptural quotations, then I understand completely if you don't want to follow along with these posts. However, part of my "recovery" as a creative person is not to hide from what I am and what I believe, and I will be writing about these things. I do hope you will come back and read and maybe even follow along.

Thank you.

The Gate Keeper, Ash Wednesday, 2012










ljgloyd

3 comments:

  1. Lori, this sounds fantastic. Since I have been reflecting on similar things (like God-given talents and making full use of them), I will follow your journey with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is winter and time for self-reflection so it is no surprise that many of us are taking that journey. Though we may be taking slightly differents paths, I look forward with great interst to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete